Is It Wrong to Have Your Own Stuff, Does No One Believe in Having Things For Themselves?

0

 


I have to believe that I can’t be the only person

You know life is all about 2 things. Changes and Accepting Loss. When I was growing up, I was always taught to share and my parents always encouraged sharing among their children until the day came when we didn’t have to. You see, I’m the oldest of 4 children.

Starting out, I was taught to share everything with my siblings even my Nintendo system which, thankfully, didn’t last long because my brother and 2 sisters weren’t into video games hard like I was.

Naturally, this allowed me to build my video game collection to exponential heights, getting only the games that I wanted and that I was personally into. Now, I’m not saying that sharing is bad, but what I am saying is that sooner or later, you’re going to get tired of sharing everything.

Well, despite the fact that my parents taught my siblings and I that sharing is caring, they also understood the importance of keeping things to themselves and for themselves.

You see, my parents weren’t selfish people. Every now and then, I could get a dollar or two out of them to buy snacks, but that wasn’t often. But enough of the cutsie stuff!

Eventually, we all get married or end up in relationships and are forced to share certain things. For some of us, this is an incontrovertible fact of our existence. For others, it is something we’re forced to do when the time calls for it.

But what if you want something that’s uniquely you; what price would you pay to have that something, to know that your name and your name alone is on that something?

In my house, I’m the only gamer that possesses a huge array of gaming tech. You know, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch, and 2 Gaming Emulators. My PS2 and PS3 game collection is vast!

This stuff is uniquely me because I’m the hardcore gamer in my house. Now, I don’t have a problem sharing but I draw the line at my video game gear, no one touches any of that unless I’m around and even then I’m like “nope”. I treat my gaming gear like fine china.

But that aside, having something to yourself isn’t a bad thing. Let’s face it, we live in an age where we all weren’t created equal in regard to taking care of our things vs. those not.

It’s easy for people who buy stuff for other people and can afford to. Whereas with people like me, who have to work for everything they get, it goes without saying that you want to take care of your things or have something that is just for you.

Sharing certain things is good but should be temporary at best because as my father used to tell me when it came down to having my own place, there’s nothing better. What’s yours isn’t everyone’s in case I didn’t make that known.

I swore that once I got another car, that car was going to be mine alone. I mean, yeah, give my family a lift to where they have to go but at the end of the day, that car’s title is going to have my name and it alone!

Sharing is caring, but it gets tiring. Besides, if you work hard for everything you get, it should be for just you, not everybody and that should be a written rule. Well, for me it is!

I’ve given my kids the literal shirt off my back, the hat off my head. I gave my son a pair of my boxer shorts when I forgot to get him a pair of his out of his drawer, it was a crazy night but I digress.

At the end of the day, it’s not about selfishness. If you buy it, it’s yours to command and do with as you please as well as draw the line where you please. Some people don’t understand that the rules don’t apply to everyone especially when they’re told differently due to generational rules.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own stuff. I don’t look for my wife or anyone to share anything with me because I believe that if I can’t get it on my own, I don’t need it nor should have it. I have always been about getting my own everything, I need and beg for nothing.

This may be the McGill family pride talking, but eventually, you get more out of something or are prompted to take care of something when you buy it yourself then you know, it’s yours!

As my parents taught me to be, I’m a survivor and I will find a way to get back everything I lose and I had to do that once. I was grateful for the experience because I didn’t take my stuff for granted and I appreciated it more because I bought it which is why I draw lines on everything.

So in closing, what you have isn’t open to everyone. If it’s yours, you got a say and nothing and no one else’s opinion or feelings matter because at the end of the day, no one is going to take better care of your stuff but you.

Like my Post? Leave me a message and I’ll get back to you immediately. Thank you and Happy writing.

Tips Appreciated!

Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)